Visiting Happy Valley Lavender Farm in July is delightful. Host Lynda Dowling is a whimsical force straight out of fairy tales.
Q: What can highlight a pot luck supper on a warm evening?
A: Lynda’s Lavender Hummingbird Cake.
AND she shared the secret recipe with us!!! 🙂
Lavender Hummingbird Cake 2014
2 ripe bananas
1/2 c. fresh pineapple (or drained)
1/2 c. shredded coconut
110 ml. tin of passionfruit pulp (available at Fairway Market in WestShore Mall)
2 Tbsp fresh lavender (or dried)
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
3/4 c. oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease an 11 x 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, whiz together bananas & pineapple. Briefly blend in oil, sugar, lavender & eggs until smooth.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, coconut & spices. Add wet mixture + passionfruit pulp to the dry ingredients. Batter will be loose. Add a few tsp. of flour if you think it is too runny.
- Baking time is 45 – 55 minutes. Test centre. If using 2 8 inch square pans, shorten baking time.
- When cooled, ice with a simple glaze made with icing sugar, a touch of butter, milk & extra coconut…. or make a cream cheese icing with 125 g. cream cheese, 185 g. icing sugar, 60 g. butter, and 2-3 Tbsp. real rum. (How tropical do you need?) 🙂
© SVSeekins, 2014